Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Catastrophic failure-we all have this fear sometime


1.              Of all the fallacies that are mention on page 189 of our textbook the one I currently most identify with is “Fear of catastrophic failure”. This is because I am a graduating senior applying to Graduate school and taking the GRE. I did not do well on my first GRE exam and am afraid in mid-October I will fail it again. I also keep dreaming that I end up failing all of my courses this last semester. That leads to me never graduating and I become homeless. When I talk with friends and family they tell me not to worry that I will do fine. I can’t get over this fear something is going to happen to knock me off track. I just hope it is not the termites that I just discovered in my apartment the other night. I just moved into my first apartment in August before that I was living in the dorms.
      It is through constantly reminding myself that things will work out and everything happens for a reason that I try to stay positive. If I continue to use the process of dual communication and monitoring my communication this should help me revise my interpersonal communication skills with others. I need to focus on the positive and roll with the negative.
thanks,
Katrina

2 comments:

  1. Fear of catastrophic failure is definitely an easy fallacy to fall victim to, as well as a harmful one. If you don’t overcome this fallacy, you will always feel held back, like you want to do something but there is something always stopping you short. you will never be able to perform at your full potential with this fallacy, and performing with your all is something you need and deserve to do for yourself. It stinks that you failed your first GRE exam, but that failure should not cause you to fail again, it wouldn’t be fair to yourself. You should learn from that failure how to do better next time, and then forget that you even failed in the first place. If you start thinking of catastrophic failure and all that can possibly go wrong, you will never succeed. I agree with your conclusion, definitely keep thinking positive, learn from the negative, and don’t let anything get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    Wow. That’s deep. Let me first tell you not to worry as well! Just take a look at all your accomplishments. You’re a graduating senior, a massive feat in itself. (I know cause I’m graduating this December too! WOOT!) You’ve successfully managed to live on your own for all this time. Something I have not yet to do. (Sadly). You have a great goal of grad school. Definitely not an easy task.

    To me it seems as though you’re on the right track to success. Don’t worry about failing. Not to be cheesy or corny, but its not about how many times you fail, but how many times you get back up.

    Back on topic, the fallacies of emotions were definitely an interesting read. I’m glad you found them interesting as well and were able to relate and find solutions for fallacies that you relate with.

    Jossshhuaa

    ReplyDelete