Monday, October 31, 2011

Best Friends


1.       I have a best friend from childhood who lives in Morgantown, West Virginia. We went to elementary school together and when my father graduated nursing school we moved away from West Virginia. As we grew up we saw each other during vacation as often as we could which was not that often. I remember one time; we were living in Pensacola, Florida and her parents brought her down to Pensacola for two weeks during the summer for vacation. We did call and write each other all time when we were in middle school and high school. Then when I graduated from high school I went back to Morgantown to visit her for a week. We don’t write, text, or call as much as we use to when we were little but we are like sisters. This past March I went to Morgantown again to visit her and we got matching tattoos. They are small and on our ankles. She has my initials (JLR) and I have her initials (BLR) tattooed in script.  We have the same middle name which neither of us realized until we went to get the tattoo done.
         We trust each other and know we can call each other no matter what time it is (even with the 3 hour time difference). In reflecting back I can see how our friendship followed the steps portrayed in the textbook on developing a friendship. When we were younger we wanted friends in school so we became a friend to each other which is the role-limited interaction step. As our friendship grew we played on the same basketball team and hung out together which is the friendly relations step.  As we grew up we would invite each other to our birthday party which is the moving toward friendship step. Our friendship soon hit the stabilized friendship step as we knew we wanted to stay in touch when I moved away.  Some may say we have been through or are in the waning friendship stage since we don’t keep in constant touch but I don’t think we are because we know if either of us has a major problem we can call the other and get advice.
Katrina

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your post! I could easily realte to you and your bestfriend. I have know my bestfriends since 4th grad and we were in separable until I had to move to san jose. She lives in tracy and although we live far we still keep in touch and arange time to see each other. We also can tell each other anything and at any time like you mentioned with your friend. There is nothing in the world she could tell me that would make me view her different. She is like family like a sister. Also are friendship went through many of the steps stated in your post and in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you and your best friend have a true friendship. This is great! It is really nice to see the friendship of you and your best friend is growing. I am sure your two are best friends forever. Treating your best friend as sister is great. You can share your feelings and anything you want to share with her, even secrets. I always call my best friend whenever l want, even when I know she is sleeping, because I always want her to be the first person who share my good news with. Besides, our friendship is growing too, just like yours with your best friend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete