Sunday, September 25, 2011

Don't be a Pseudolistener while watching TV


In chapter six of out textbook the author discusses six types of non-listening patterns. These six patterns are: Pseudolistening, Monopolizing, Selective Listening, Defensive Listening, Ambushing, and Literal Listening.  While each of these six forms of non-listening have taken place at some point in my life I believe that pseudolistening is the most prevalent in my current life now, especially on Saturday and Sundays. I enjoy watching college and professional football (yes, I yell at the T.V.-I know they can’t hear me). So if someone is trying to talk to me while I am watching a game either in person or on the T.V. I really don’t pay attention to what they are saying and most times I simply agree. The definition according to the textbook of pseudolistening “is pretending to listen” (Wood, 2011). I am definitely guilty of not listening to people while watching football.
                I have taken a proactive measure in no longer being a pseudolistener during football games.  I now DVR all my games even if I am actively watching them so I can stop the game. This allows me to listen actively to the individual speaking with me and then return to where I left off on the game without missing a beat. 
-Katrina

3 comments:

  1. Dear Katrina,

    I like how you mention that all six types of non-listening have taken place into your life at some point because when I look back at my life for these non-listening types, I find them too! :(

    I also share the pseudolistening type with you whenever I play online video games because I get into the game so much that my attention has drifted from reality; unfortunately, I cannot pause online games when I am in a game room because they are public and continue to run whether I am away or not.

    My family and past girlfriends would usually get mad at me for pretending to listen, and so I found a way to stop the bad habit by pressing the "off" button on the television when I can see the person trying to talk to me really needs to have a moment even though it hurts to ruin my game score.

    Thanks for your input Katrina! Hope you will get over your pseudolistening habit too!

    -Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    Thats awesome that you DVR now just to be more courteous to someone that is talking to you. They should know better than to interrupt your game!! ;) I am also guilty of pseudolistening while watching TV, if one of my favorite shows is on and I'm really into it, I will completely ignore someone if they start talking to me. In order to stop myself from doing this, I just mute the TV and turn to face whoever is talking to me, in order to give them my full attention. The show can be re-run but someone might not be so willing to share what they were talking about with you after you ignore them for a TV show. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you put pseudolistening in to a real life example. I’m sure your not the only one who does this during games. I too am really bad at this but like i said in one of my post I do that at my job. I know that sounds bad but sometimes customers can talk all day! And I have to get my work done fast. I really hate to be rude but sometimes you have to pretend to listen to not hurt someones feelings. However I really thought this was an interesting topic because i have a habit of this and I didn’t know there was a word for it!

    ReplyDelete