Thursday, November 17, 2011

Launching children and empty nest syndrome

3. I found the section on launching children very interesting. It can be found on page 315 of the text book. In looking at my own life I lived with my mom until I went to college then I lived in the dorms until just recently (my senior year-last semester) I moved into an apartment with a roommate.  My mom said I was all grown up when I got my apartment and I told her no I need my mommy (yes I call her mommy) and always will. I still call her and ask her if it is ok to eat something if I think has sat in the refrigerator too long or what temperature to cook something at.
My mom is single so she doesn’t have a husband to enjoy the peace and quiet of the empty nest when she hits the post launching of children. But since we are moving to West Virginia together and I will be living with her I guess I am returning to the nest. I don’t mind, in fact I asked her to move back to Morgantown with me. She is my best friend; she is always there for me. I don’t think she judges me but she always jokes around saying it is part of her job as a parent to judge me every day. Maybe I am the one going through empty nest syndrome with moving away from my college friends and my sister. 
Thanks,
Katrina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina,

    Thanks for your post, it made me laugh a little because I am very similar with my mom. Although I am happy to be living away from home I still miss my mom every day and always make sure we talk throughout the day. Being an only child I spent a lot of my time with my parents, and we have such a great relationship it is hard sometimes to be apart for long periods of time because I enjoy being around them so much. That is really nice you are moving away with your mom, but there has to be one day where you can be independent and on your own. I definitely feel the empty nest syndrome moving further and further away from my parents by graduating college and getting married soon. I will always remain close with my parents and I'm sure you will with your mom as well! Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I understand where you are coming from with your situation with you and your mom and moving out and living in the dorms when you are new in college. I have always been a family oriented person. I actually spend quality time with my mom, dad, and younger brother, than friends sometimes, depends on the situation and time. So when I moved to state as a freshman in college, and lived with seven other girls in a dorm on campus, experiencing living away from home the first time, was a little challenging at times because I was used to seeing my parents and brother on a daily basis now I did not. I had to adjust on being more independent, and doing things on my own. I still called my mom every day, twice a day. There has not been a day go by that I do not talk to my parents. I live with my brother now by campus since he goes here now, so I don't feel that "empty nest" there.

    I think it is great that you have such a great relationship with your mom because like we always hear, "moms know best." They are very nurturing and always does everything for our best interest same with dads as well. Being a parent is all about taking care of someone else who you brought into the world. They feel this sense of responsibility because it is their job to care, and protect you, to worry about you, to love you unconditionally.

    Great post overall!

    -little miss daisy

    ReplyDelete